Friday, December 19, 2008

The REAL Santa!

This picture of my Dad is framed and stored with all our Christmas decorations. I love pulling it out each year and seeing "His eyes- how they twinkled! His dimples- how merry! His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!" Shortly after Thanksgiving my Dad would start growing out his beard for the holidays. In his early years he had to paint in the white, but later on, the white beard was all-natural and the only thing painted were his eyebrows! My Dad dressed up as Santa for all the ward Christmas parties and the kids LOVED him. Christmas was his favorite time of the year!

November 30th marked the five year anniversary since my dad passed-away. It makes me sad to think that Adam never got to meet him. They actually remind me a lot of each other, especially their love for food. I know Charlie knows his Grandpa, not here on earth, but I am sure they were hanging out together in heaven before Charlie was born. Not only is Charlie named after his Grandpa, but he looks like him too! They both have a stocky build with no necks, round cheeks, and twinkly-squinty eyes when they smile.

Thinking of my Dad really makes me want to cherish this holiday season. I have many memories as a child of my dad crying on Christmas morning. Like the year our dog came running into the house with a bow tied to his neck, or the year we got a Nintendo from Santa even after mom and dad said "No way!" My dad was always standing in the background with tears of JOY, so happy to see his kids so excited. He also always surprised my mom with a special gift every year. After all the presents were unwrapped he would stand up and pull a gift out with my moms name on it. It was usually some jewelery or a plane ticket for my mom to fly to see her sister for a weekend. I cherish those memories. I bet my Dad continues to cry tears of JOY from watching his family grow and seeing the love we all have for him and for each other.

5 comments:

Laura Call said...

This really touched my heart... brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful father you have to remember and cherish and look forward to seeing again someday. I think it's really neat that Charlie reminds you of him and that they share the same name. I love the sweet memories you have of your dad and the big heart it sounds like he wore on his sleeve for his family. What a great picture of him as the "real" Santa... amazing! He really does look like the real Santa, I'm impressed. It takes a very special person to want to do something like that every year and to even grow out a real beard for it. Thanks for sharing a part of your dad with the rest of us. You're right, I'm sure he still experiences tears of joy as he looks down on his family, and I'd add... he feels so proud of you, your accomplishments as a wife and mother, and feels joy for your growing family.

Rachel B. said...

Nora! You made me cry! Such an insanely sweet post.

Elise said...

What a priceless picture and a very touching post to go along with it. I loved it! I'm sure he is just beaming with pride as he sees his family grow and grow and spend time together. Awesome.

Amy said...

Nora, this was the sweetest post. I loved seeing the picture of your dad. I'm not sure I've ever seen a picture of him (at least that I can remember). The way you describe him does remind me of Adam in a lot of ways. He made a great Santa! Loved all the other posts, too. I didn't know you and your sister were due on the same exact day! That's crazy! What fun it'll be to have cousins the same age. Looks like you've been busy catching up on all the blogging. Lots of fun memories to cherish. We have a video post of Adam doing tick-tock on our blog if you haven't seen it--those two were scaring me to death that day. Glad everyone lived through it :)!

Sarah said...

I love it. I swear everyone who ever met your dad loved him. I know I did. That's such a sweet picture - and such warm memories, too. Hugs, girlie!