Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Bath-tie"

Charlie and I got up this morning and sat down on the couch together. We started talking about our day and how we get to go to church today. Then I told him that there is a little girl from Primary getting baptized tonight and I asked if he wanted to go with me. His face lit up as he said "Yeeeeaaah," and then he proceeded to tell me that this girl must be 8 years old because that is how old you are when you get baptized. I was impressed, I am never sure if the things Adam and I teach ever really stick, plus, I don't think I have ever really talked with him about getting baptized in great detail. Our Family Home Evening lessons tend to be a bit more basic, things like: being kind, obeying your mother and father, and sharing. Anyway, I continued to ask him more questions, heck, if he knows a child can get baptized at age 8 then what else could he know?
Me: "Charlie, so do you know what happens when you get baptized?"
Charlie: No response.
Me: "Well, you walk into a special pool of water at the church called a font..."(interruption)
Charlie: "Oh, I know, I know. No mom, you dive into the water and swim to the bottom and grab your bath-tie."
Me: "Your what?"
Charlie: "Your bath-tie. You get a bath-tie!"
Well, baptize and bath-tie sound alike, so I will give him that much. After that we had a nice little talk and looked at pictures of Jesus being baptized by John the baptist. Then we talked about how we get baptized to have all the things we have ever done wrong washed away. I love it that Charlie is so eager to learn and he wants so badly to try and do what is right... even if he messes up and makes things up along the way!

2 comments:

grandma graham said...

Oh my Charlie boy! I Love You XOXO

Ginger said...

That's a story to always remember (and tease him about later). Awesome story!!! He's so stinkin' cute!