Saturday, November 30, 2013

10 years too many.

 
It made me proud when people would say I'm just like you,
I've got your round face, big cheeks, manly legs, yes, it's true!

You and I would always eat the fastest as we sat down each night for dinner,
Everyone else took after mom, maybe that's why they are a bit thinner.

Sometimes our stubborn ways meant you and I did not always get along
If I was right and you were right, who would admit they were wrong?

We enjoyed playing pranks, like waiting for Steven after a church dance,
We nailed him with the hose and water ran down his pants.

Even though we are alike, and that means the world to me,
I still have a lot to learn because you're all I aspire to be.

I am grateful for your character and all the fun we've had,
Having you there when times were tough made it all not seem so bad.

You had so many good friends whose lives you deeply touched,
That special way about you, everyone loved so much.

As a father you counseled, guided, and lead with all your might,
Teaching us to seek for truth and strive to choose the right.

You were one with great courage, you had faith in Heavenly Father's plan,
And though it's hard to see you go, you've left the mark of a valiant man.

I miss you so much, but I am doing my best not to be sad,
Instead I will strive to live up to the phrase: "You remind me of your Dad!" 
 
(the poem I wrote after Dad died and read at his funeral)

No comments: